The exhilarating world of Super Motard
The 2020 Suzuki DR-Z400SM is a street legal bike for serious dirt bike enthusiasts on pavement roads. It's not uncommon to take the SM down gravel firetracks as well as tight twisty corners. The 398cc liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine provides strong low-rpm torque and crisp throttle response for any of these occasions.
High Performance 4-Stroke Engine
398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve engine produces broad, tractable power and torque, and features compact, streamlined design for the double advantage of low engine positioning and extra-slim, off-road rider-friendly chassis.
49mm Showa Fork
Long-travel, cartridge-style forks feature adjustable compression/rebound damping and adjustable spring preload for all types of on/off-road terrain.
Performance Rear Shock
A fully adjustable progressive linkage rear shock absorber (spring preload/compression damping adjustable) and aluminium swingarm ensures precise rear wheel control.
Chrome-moly steel frame tuned for Supermoto style riding is torsionally strong with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) plated engine's aluminium cylinder bore for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer.
- Dry-sump oiling system keeps the crankcases compact for agile handling.
- Clutch, magneto and cam covers all made of lightweight aluminium-alloy.
- Digitally mapped DC-CDI system monitoring throttle position/engine rpm and adjusts ignition timing efficient combustion.
- Compact electric starter motor and automatic compression release system for easy starting.
- Massive 310mm floating type front disc brake, same size used on the GSX-R sport bikes and the 240mm rear disc brake shared with the RM-Z series provide serious stopping power.
- Showa inverted front forks derived from the RM-Z motocross series make for extra-smooth stroke action. Compression damping force 21-way adjustable and rebound damping force 19-way adjustable.
- Long-travel, damping and spring preload adjustable rear shock absorber also using RM's technology, and stylish tapered aluminium-alloy swingarm with a progressive linkage. Spring preload fully adjustable compression damping force 20-way adjustable and rebound damping force 17-way adjustable.
- The DR-Z400SM's bodywork is sculpted as slim as possible, especially at footpegs, and features super-smooth transitions between major section such as fuel tank, seat, radiator covers, side covers and rear fender.
- 17-inch high-grip front and rear radial tyres on the wide and stylishly anodized aluminium-rim wheels.
- Easy-to-read multi-function digital instrument includes speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters with both addition and subtraction functions, clock and stopwatch with subtraction capability.
- Bright 60/55W halogen headlight with maintenance-free battery.