Andrea Iannone: 9th - 1:56.123 / +0.961
Alex Rins: 14th - 1:56.637 / +1.475
Takuya Tsuda: 18th - 1:59.749 / +4.587
The day of testing in Brno has finished for the Team SUZUKI ECSTAR, with three riders involved in an intensive session today right after the Czech GP.
Andrea Iannone was getting over the pain in his leg that he got after yesterday’s accident, and was able to do important work with new setting configurations, some electronics finalization, and some new parts in the engine that will be useful for development for 2018. He also tested the new Michelin’s front tyre again, with positive feedback.
After a positive race yesterday and the consistent improvements that he has made since his comeback after the injury, Alex Rins focused his testing on new setup configurations and an update of the chassis. He got the Evolution chassis that Iannone is already using. This will allow for the improvement of his understanding of the GSX-RR, and the beginning the machine’s finalization according to his feedback.
Test rider Takuya Tsuda joined Team Suzuki MotoGP in this test in order to help the engineers continued efforts to develop the electronics. His target is to gather as much information as possible on the new configurations that have been developed in order to make them available to the engineers for further evaluations and development.
Ken Kawauchi – Technical Manager
“This has been a very important test for us, both immediately and for the development for 2018. We had many items to test, and three different programs for the three riders, all with different priorities. Overall, the feedback is positive: with Andrea and Alex were able to take some steps forward that could be useful as early as Austria, but we also had some important indications that will push the development in the second part of the season. Alex was also able to try the Evolution chassis that Andrea has already been using since Barcelona. He did find some benefits to it. We also brought some new specs for the engine that helped the riders with its feeling and this will be very important for next year. Tsuda worked hard with the test team, developing some new solutions with the electronics.”
Davide Brivio – Team Manager
“I believe this test has been very positive for both riders. We wanted to make some tests not only for immediate improvements but also for the development for 2018. The riders gave us important feedback and we have been given many indications as to what we can work on. With Andrea we tested some settings and improvements that will be useful in Austria this Friday, while Alex finally recovered enough to test the new chassis that he lost in Barcelona; the same chassis that Andrea is using. He liked it, felt some improvements, so I believe we will try to use it in Austria. This has been a positive test that provided us useful information. Also the test rider Tsuda joined us and he focused more on the electronics. His job was meant more to support the development that the Factory is carrying out in Japan.”
“It’s a shame we couldn’t make better use of the soft tyre, but unfortunately this morning I crashed two times in the trial trying to push the bike to its limit, and this cut some of our time off. We focused on trying out some new improvements for 2018, and I feel the direction is correct. My feeling on the bike improved a lot. In fact, today I could lap much faster than yesterday in the race. Also the pace improved. I spoke with Alex and he had pretty much the same feelings I had, therefore I think we are all on the right path and we have a good chance to improve.”
“Today it was a very positive day because we were able to try so many pieces and this is always a positive thing. I tried a new chassis, the one Andrea has been using for a few races, and I felt much more comfortable. We will try to use it in Austria, and if we see we can work in the same good line we will use it. We improved the cornering speed and also in the corner exit. Overall it was a very positive test for us so let's see if we can take a step forward after today’s improvements.”
MotoGP Test, Czech Republic – Classification:
1. Valentino ROSSI, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP - 1:55.162 – Lap 51 / 52
2. Marc MARQUEZ, Repsol Honda Team - 1:55.180 +0.018 – Lap 49 / 67
3. Maverick VIÑALES, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP - 1:55.335 +0.173 – Lap 64 / 69
4. Jorge LORENZO, Ducati Team - 1:55.542 +0.380 – Lap 41 / 55
5. Johann ZARCO, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 - 1:55.691 +0.529 – Lap 69 / 70
6. Cal CRUTCHLOW, LCR Honda - 1:55.768 +0.606 – Lap 23 / 48
7. Dani PEDROSA, Repsol Honda Team - 1:55.795 +0.633 – Lap 37 / 53
8. Jonas FOLGER, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 - 1:55.830 +0.668 – Lap 41 / 48
9. Andrea IANNONE, Team SUZUKI ECSTAR - 1:56.123 +0.961 – Lap 41 / 47
10. Aleix ESPARGARO, Aprilia Racing Team Gresini - 1:56.263 +1.101 – Lap 35 / 51
11. Andrea DOVIZIOSO, Ducati Team - 1:56.403 +1.241 – Lap 34 / 45
12. Tito RABAT, EG 0,0 Marc VDS - 1:56.535 +1.373 – Lap 68 / 76
13. Jack MILLER, EG 0,0 Marc VDS - 1:56.634 +1.472 – Lap 37 / 47
14. Alex RINS, Team SUZUKI ECSTAR - 1:56.637 +1.475 – Lap 61 / 69
15. Pol ESPARGARO, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing - 1:56.668 +1.506 – Lap 39 / 60
16. Bradley SMITH, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing - 1:56.976 +1.814 – Lap 43 / 51
17. Sam LOWES, Aprilia Racing Team Gresini - 1:57.851 +2.689 – Lap 18 / 26
18. Takuya TSUDA, Team SUZUKI ECSTAR - 1:59.749 +4.587 – Lap 25 / 51