An Invitation to Own the Racetrack
The secret to the 2016 GSX-R1000’s legendary performance is an unrivaled combination of awesome power and precision handling. Its powerplant features cutting-edge designs like lightweight, forged pistons help it provide incredible acceleration out of corners, matched by stunning top-end performance. Its chassis is designed for optimum rigidity, providing responsive steering and rock-solid stability even through wide-open sweepers
999cm3 4-cylinder powerplant, with Bore x stroke of 74.5mm x 57.3mm brings enhanced throttle response across the entire rpm range and high potential for racetrack performance.
Cutting-edge digital engine management
The Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) system has two butterfly valves (primary and secondary) in each throttle-body barrel. The primary valve is controlled by the rider via the twist grip, and the secondary valve is controlled by the ECM. As the rider opens and closes the primary valve, the ECM reads the throttle position, engine speed, and gear position and incrementally adjusts the secondary valve to maximise the intake-charge velocity. The ECM thereby enhances combustion efficiency, makes throttle response more linear, and improves low-end and mid-range torque.
Three rider selectable maps
The unique Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) system allows the rider to select from three fuel-injection and ignition-system maps, thereby adjusting power delivery to suit personal preferences. The “A” setting yields sharp throttle response throughout the throttle-opening range to realize maximal power delivery. The “B” setting yields relatively soft throttle response up to the middle of the throttle-opening range. The “C” setting yields relatively soft throttle response throughout the throttle-opening range by reducing engine power.
The proven instrument-cluster design includes LCD indications for the speedometer, an odometer, dual trip meters, a reserve trip meter, a clock, the coolant temperature, the oil-pressure, a gear-position indicator, a laptimer/stopwatch, an S-DMS indicator, and a bar graph showing the brightness of the instrument illumination. There are four LEDs for a programmable engine speed indication system. There are also LEDs for fuel injection, low fuel, neutral, high beam, coolant temperature/oil pressure, and turn signals. An LED that shows immobilizer activation is also included where relevant. The right handlebar control module incorporates a speedometer display mode switch that can be used to trigger the laptimer/stopwatch.
Advanced suspension technologies
Lightweight, fully adjustable 43mm Showa Big Piston Front forks (BPF) with an endurance-race-proven design deliver superb feedback and responsive, stable operation, and are lightweight. The Rear shock absorber features adjustable rebound damping, spring preload, and both high-speed and low-speed compression damping allowing adjustability for a wide range of conditions.
Radial mount Brembo monobloc calipers
The front disc brakes are equipped with top-of-the-line radial-mount Brembo monobloc calipers. The monobloc calipers are lighter and more rigid than conventional bolt-together calipers and give better feedback to the rider.
Control is power
The chassis retains the basic elements that have contributed to the GSX-R1000 legend: A twin-spar frame that’s welded together using just five cast aluminium-alloy sections. An aluminium-alloy swingarm that’s welded together using just three castings and is arched to allow the muffler to be tucked in tightly. A short wheelbase for nimble handling on the racetrack. And a long swingarm that enhances traction and acceleration out of racetrack corners while resistingrear suspension squat.
Electronically controlled steering damper
An electronically controlled steering damper uses the ECM to monitor motorcycle speed and adjusts itself for lighter steering at slower speeds, and delivers more damping force at racetrack and highway speeds.
- The compact engine enables short wheelbase and long swingarm at the same time to improve racetrack performance.
- Lightweight, durable forged pistons are designed with the Finite Element Method (FEM) and fatigue analysis technology used for MotoGP racing engines.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
- Pentagonal shaped ventilation holes in the sides of each cylinder bore reduce pumping losses due to internal crankcase air-pressure resistance to downward piston movement.
- Optimized camshaft profiles for great racing potential was developed using proven MotoGP racing engine technology.
- Optimally shaped combustion chambers and a compression ratio of 12.9:1 promote low-range and mid-range performance and help realize a broad torque curve.
- Iridium spark plugs produce a strong spark for efficient combustion.
- 12-hole fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for more complete combustion, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
- An Engine Control Module (ECM) provides state-of-the-art engine management and has optimized settings to suit the single muffler, resulting in better fuel economy and linear throttle response.
- The 4-2-1 exhaust system carries a Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve maximizing torque and improving throttle response, especially in the low-to-mid rpm range.
- Race-proven back-torque-limiting clutch contributes to smoother downshifting and corner entry.
- Large, efficient radiator with a trapezoidal shape developed on factory team racebikes and a trapezoidal engine oil cooler both help reduce drag.
- A lightweight and compact twin-spar frame is made of five cast sections. It is mated with an arched swingarm made of three castings and one-piece die-cast rear subframe.
- The rear brake system with single-piston caliper contributes to a reduction of unsprung weight.
- The lightweight and high-grip front and rear tires reduce unsprung weight for sharp handling.
- 3-way adjustable footpegs, adjustable shift lever and short fuel tank help compose a comfortable riding position.
- The edgy and clean GSX-R1000 styling incorporates fairing and bodywork details aimed at reducing turbulence and drag.
- Distinctive multi-reflector headlight with vertically stacked high and low-beam halogen bulbs is centred between position light on each side.
- Attention to rider comfort includes a carefully shaped seat with high-grip leather for better holding feel.
- The wheels have pin stripes punctured by “R” logos that highlight the bike’s identity.
- Optional single seat cowl can be replaced with the tandem seat for an even more aggressive image and solo rides or track days.