On Earth the road never ends. From tarmac to trail, beach to mountain pass, alleyway to distant highway, every ride is an escape into freedom.
Go anywhere, Go beyond. On the 2016 V-Strom 650XT the journey is just the beginning.
The Australian spec model is equipped with Genuine Suzuki accessory hand-guards, engine under cowling and engine protection bars for the rigors of off-road adventure riding.
The power for freedom
The V-Strom 650’s four-stroke, DOHC, 645cm3 90-degree V-twin engine is ready for full-range riding enjoyment. It offers the distinctive beat feel of a V-twin, ample torque for easy handling at low and mid-range revs, and powerful performance at the high end of the rev range. A broad powerband makes for smooth going on steep mountain passes, open highways, and crowded city streets. Plus, great fuel economy ensures a class-*leading riding range.
*650cm3～800cm3 adventure touring models
Fuel Injection with Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV)
SDTV 39mm throttle bodies use, in addition to the rider-operated primary throttle valve positioned on the intake-valve side, a secondary throttle valve mounted on the airbox side that’s driven by a compact, lightweight DC stepping motor. The ECU determines the secondary-throttle-valve position for maintaining the optimum intake velocity for each riding conditions, based on engine rpm, gear position and the position of the primary throttle valve. The SDTV system optimises the intake-charge velocity in each rpm range, allowing intake mixture with optimum air-fuel ratio to be constantly supplied to the combustion chamber, thus helping deliver abundant low to-mid rpm range torque and a linear throttle response while keeping emissions low.
Instruments and Anti-Theft Immobiliser
A compact, easy-to-read instrument cluster combines an analogue tachometer with a big, brightness-adjustable LCD that shows the gear position, ambient temperature, average fuel consumption, speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, coolant temperature, clock, and fuel gauge. The rider can select LCD indications using the left handlebar switch. A short push toggles the odometer section to tripmeter, fuel consumption, and brightness. A long push changes the clock section to the ambient temperature. LED indicators include a road freeze indicator that, together with the ambient temperature display, helps the rider monitor road conditions. A Suzuki Advanced Immobiliser System helps prevent theft by means of an electronic code identification system built into the owner’s key.
Comfortable riding position
A comfortable riding position that helps reduce fatigue on long-distance tours is created by slightly raising the seat position to optimise its relation to the handlebars. The upright position allows much freedom of rider movement and, together with the slim, lightweight chassis, make the rider feel at one with the machine. Slim seat design keeps rider leg reach to the ground easy.
Front forks with 43mm stanchion tubes are tuned for a combination of rigidity feel and smoothness of operation; spring preload is 5-way adjustable to suit road conditions, rider tastes or the carrying of a passenger or luggage. The link-type rear suspension, designed for progressive response, comes with stepless rebound damping adjuster as well as a spring preload adjuster that’s conveniently located below the right sidecover. Front suspension stroke is a generous 150mm, the rear wheel travel 159mm. The well-damped front and rear suspensions enhance riding comfort.
Newly designed and distinctive beak on the front inspired by Suzuki heritage along with narrow and compact bodywork designed for long range comfort. The beak has intake ducts which lead air to the radiator.
Wire-spoked aluminium rims
Wire-spoked aluminium-alloy rims absorb shock effectively at low speeds to promote friendly handling character. Tubeless radial tyres (110/80R19 at the front; 150/70R17 at the rear) offer a great combination of life and road grip.
The full-powered Australian spec model is equipped with Genuine Suzuki accessory hand-guards, engine under cowling and engine protection bars for the rigors of off-road adventure riding.
- Twin iridium spark plugs for each cylinder for better spark strength and combustion efficiency contributing to increased power, a more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up and a more stable idle.
- A radiator with a more compact core, flanked by wind-directing plates shaped with holes* for enhancing cooling efficiency, directing engine heat to flow out to the side air outlets and away from the rider’s legs. (*Patented.)
- Suzuki-developed and patented Throttle-body Integrated Idle Speed Control (TI-ISC) contributes to easy cold starting, stable idle and lower emissions.
- Lightweight and rigid twin-spar aluminium-alloy frame and swingarm contribute to smooth handling performance and excellent stability at high-speeds.
- 5-way spring-preload-adjustable 43mm-stanchion-tube front forks and link-type rear suspension with rebound stepless damping adjuster as well as a spring preload adjuster that can be increased or decreased by turning a knob, without using tools.
- Front dual 310mm-disc brakes and rear 260mm-disc brakes deliver smooth, controllable stopping power. Expansion-resistant high-pressure brake hose enhances the responsive brake feel.
- Digital Antilock Brake System (ABS)* unit features a lightweight, compact design. The ABS monitors wheel speed, and matches stopping power to available traction.
- With a comfortable, upright riding position and a low seat height, the functional seat combines red-stitched leather-look sections and suede-look, slip-resistant surfaces, and is topped off with an embossed V-Strom logo.
- A lightweight, one-piece, resin luggage carrier with well-shaped, easy-to-grasp grab bars comes with a slip-resistant rubber mat.