The exhilarating world of Super Motard
The 2018 Suzuki DR-Z400SM is a street legal bike for serious dirt bike enthusiasts on pavement roads. It's not uncommon to take the Super Motard down gravel firetracks as well as tight twisty corners. Its 398cc liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine provides strong low-rpm torque and crisp throttle response for any of these occasions.
High Performance 4-Stroke Engine
398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve engine produces broad, tractable power and torque, and features compact, streamlined design for the double advantage of low engine positioning and extra-slim, off-road rider-friendly chassis.
49mm Showa Fork
Long-travel, cartridge-style forks feature adjustable compression/rebound damping and adjustable spring preload for all types of on/off-road terrain.
Performance Rear Shock
A fully adjustable progressive linkage rear shock absorber (spring preload/compression damping adjustable) and aluminium swingarm ensures precise rear wheel control.
Chrome-moly steel frame tuned for Supermoto style riding is torsionally strong with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) plated engine's aluminium cylinder bore for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer.
- Dry-sump oiling system keeps the crankcases compact for agile handling.
- Clutch, magneto and cam covers all made of lightweight aluminium-alloy.
- Digitally mapped DC-CDI system monitoring throttle position/engine rpm and adjusts ignition timing efficient combustion.
- Compact electric starter motor and automatic compression release system for easy starting.
- Massive 310mm floating type front disc brake, same size used on the GSX-R sport bikes and the 240mm rear disc brake shared with the RM-Z series provide serious stopping power.
- Showa inverted front forks derived from the RM-Z motocross series make for extra-smooth stroke action. Compression damping force 21-way adjustable and rebound damping force 19-way adjustable.
- Long-travel, damping and spring preload adjustable rear shock absorber also using RM's technology, and stylish tapered aluminium-alloy swingarm with a progressive linkage. Spring preload fully adjustable compression damping force 20-way adjustable and rebound damping force 17-way adjustable.
- The DR-Z400SM's bodywork is sculpted as slim as possible, especially at footpegs, and features super-smooth transitions between major section such as fuel tank, seat, radiator covers, side covers and rear fender.
- 17-inch high-grip front and rear radial tyres on the wide and stylishly anodized aluminium-rim wheels.
- Easy-to-read multi-function digital instrument includes speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters with both addition and subtraction functions, clock and stopwatch with subtraction capability.
- Bright 60/55W halogen headlight with maintenance-free battery.