Model code: GSX-R1000L2
Since its launch more than a decade ago, the GSX-R1000 has been synonymous with Pure Performance and the next generation GSX-R1000 is set to continue the legacy.
So dominant has the GSX-R1000 been on 1,000cc production-based road-racing grids around the world that the title of The Top Performer has become the sole holding of Suzuki.
The latest advances in engine technology are remarkable in their ability to boost performance potential and fuel efficiency. Chassis enhancements deliver even better control. And styling refinements evoke the performance and handling advances.
Still the one. The only one. The GSX-R1000. Own The Racetrack.
Click to download the RAPID magazine Bike Launch Test
Please note: Seat cowl is an optional accessory.
- Thanks to Suzuki ’s uncompromising efforts to shave excess weight, the 2012 GSX-R1000 is 2kg lighter than its predecessor.
- The 4-2-1 exhaust system, carrying a Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve maximizing torque and improving throttle response, especially in the low-to-mid rpm range. And less weight at the back of the bike means better mass-centralization, turns into better handling performance.
- Lighter, more durable forged pistons designed with the same Finite Element Method (FEM) and fatigue analysis technology used for MotoGP racing engines, and consequently the pistons are 11% lighter.
- New pentagonal shaped ventilation holes (instead of rectangular shape in previous model) in the sides of each cylinder bore reduce pumping losses due to internal crankcase air-pressure resistance to downward piston movement.
- Optimised camshaft profiles for great racing potential, developed using proven MotoGP racing engine technology.
- Optimally shaped combustion chambers and an increased compression ratio of 12.9:1 (up from 12.8:1) promote low-range and mid-range performance and help to realize a broad torque curve.
- Thinner material for the tappet skirts means a weight saving of 2.5 grams per tappet. The reduced inertial mass gave Suzuki the freedom to optimize the valve lift curve.
- An engine control module (ECM) provides state-of-the-art engine management and has optimized settings to suit the single muffler, resulting in better fuel economy and linear throttle response.
- The front disk brakes are equipped with the top-of-the-line radial-mount Brembo monobloc calipers and lighter Sunstar Engineering front discs.
- Big Piston Frontforks (BPF) with an endurance-race-proven design deliver superb feedback and responsive, stable operation, and are lightweight.
- 999cm3 4-cylinder powerplant, with Bore x stroke of 74.5mm x 57.3mm brings enhanced throttle response across the entire rpm range and high potential for racetrack performance.
- The compact engine enabled short wheelbase and 32mm long swingarm at the same time to improve racetrack performance.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase, reduce friction and improving heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
- 12-hole fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for more complete combustion, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
- Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) offers push-button selection of three performance settings to suit riding conditions and personal tastes. The switch is located on the left handlebar control module.
- Iridium spark plugs produce a strong spark for efficient combustion.
- Large, efficient radiator with a trapezoidal shape developed on factory team racebikes and a trapezoidal engine oil cooler both help reduce drag.
- Race-proven back-torque-limiting clutch contributes to smoother downshifting and corner entry.
- A lightweight and compact twin-spar frame made of five cast sections, mated with an arched swingarm made of three castings and one-piece die-cast rear subframe.
- The rear brake system with single-piston caliper contributes to a reduction of unsprung weight.
- Rear shock absorber features adjustable rebound damping, spring preload, and both high-speed and low-speed compression damping.
- Electronically controlled steering damper provides lighter steering at slower speeds and more damping force at racetrack and highway speeds.
- 3-way adjustable footpegs, adjustable shift lever, and short fuel tank help compose a comfortable riding position.
- The edgy and clean GSX-R1000 styling incorporates fairing and bodywork details aimed at reducing turbulence and drag.
- Distinctive multi-reflector headlight with vertically stacked high and low-beam halogen bulbs centered between position lights on each side.
- Front and rear turn signals feature clear lenses over amber bulbs.
- Instruments include a silver-ringed analog tachometer with LCD speedometer. LCD readouts include odometer, dual trip meters, reserve trip meter, clock, coolant temperature/oil pressure warning indicator, gear position indicator, lap timer/stopwatch, S-DMS setting indicator and bar-graph indicating the instrument lighting level, or brightness.
- Optional single seat cowl can replace the tandem seat for an even more aggressive image and solo rides or track days.