Model code: DR-Z400SL2
Dirty Looks, Street Performance
The DR-Z400S looks like an off-road machine, and it is - with all the unmatched performance capabilities you'd expect from a Suzuki.
But look a little more carefully and you'll see you get a bonus: it's 100 percent street legal. The DR-Z400's exceptional off-road performance should come as no surprise. After all, it uses the same advanced suspension as the renowned DR-Z400E. It also has a lightweight, compact design that helps it offer crisp handling everywhere from tight, technical trails to wide-open fire roads.
Off-road or on the street, the DR-Z400S provides strong torque across the powerband and amazing throttle response. And it features remarkably smooth performance, complemented by conveniences such as electric starting and a compact, easy-to-read instrument cluster.
On the trail or across town, you can't beat the Suzuki DR-Z400S.
- 398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve engine produces broad, tractable power and torque, and features compact, streamlined design for the double advantage of low engine positioning and extra-slim, off-road rider-friendly chassis.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) plated engine's aluminium cylinder for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer.
- Dry-sump oiling system makes crankcase compact.
- Magnesium-alloy clutch, magneto and cam covers contribute to weight reduction.
- Digitally mapped DE-CDI system monitors throttle position/engine rpm and adjusts ignition timing to maintain efficient combustion.
- Rider-friendly electric engine starter with compact electric starter motor.
- Automatic decompression system lifts one exhaust valve at cranking rpm for easy starting.
- Powerful 250mm front disc brake with dual-piston caliper and 220mm rear disc brake with single-piston caliper.
- Long-travel, cartridge-type front fork with protective rubber boot. Spring preload and compression/rebound damping are all adjustable, allowing precise settings.
- Progressive-linkage rear suspension with long-travel rear shock absorber, aluminium swingarm and adjustable spring preload/compression damping.
- Narrow frame combines thin, round and rectangular chrome-moly steel tubes for exceptional torsional rigidity with minimum weight and lightweight aluminium bolt-on rear subframe.
- Air filter can be accessed with your bare hands and clutch cover can be removed without draining the engine coolant for easy maintenance.
- Easy-to-read multi-function digital instrument includes speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters with both addition and subtraction functions, clock and stopwatch with subtraction capability.
- Pouch on the rear fender carries tool kit and the owner's manual.
- Bright 60/55W H4 halogen headlight, lightweight turn signals and compact taillight and brake light.