Model code: DR-Z400EK9
A Good Mate
This is the bike that, unlike any other, fits the description of a dirt-churning weapon. The bike that year after year rocks its rivals, this year comes loaded with high-tech ammunition. The DR-Z's motivation comes from 398cc of displacement, DOHC with four huge valves and liquid cooling. The forged piston is 10% lighter than one conventionally cast, an L-shaped top piston ring reduces blow-by, while copious use of aluminium and magnesium lowers weight and improves heat transfer.
Putting this power into practice you get a thumper producing great wads of power right off the bottom, a strong delivery that builds right through the mid range and enough torque to grunt you up anything. No wider than many 250's, yet just as agile, the seat is comfortably rounded, the steering poised and precise. The frame is thin-wall, chrome-moly steel tubing in a combination of round and rectangular cross-section, delivering superb rigidity with minimum weight.
Toss it around, hammer it through whoops, the compliant, long travel front forks feature large, 49mm stanchion tubes. Rear suspension features a Showa rear shock with both high and low speed compression adjustment. Everything you want, including wide RM- style footpegs and a lightweight headlight unit. The 100% street legal DR-Z400E. Electrifying your adrenaline like no 400 has ever done before.
- 398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve engine produces broad, tractable power and torque, and features compact, streamlined design for the double advantage of low engine positioning and extra-slim, off-road rider-friendly chassis.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) plated engine's aluminium cylinder for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer.
- KEIHIN FCR39SS flat-side carburettor for seamless, smooth engine power delivery.
- Dry-sump oiling system makes crankcase compact.
- Magnesium-alloy clutch, magneto and cam covers contribute to weight reduction.
- Digitally mapped DC-CDI system monitors throttle position/engine rpm and adjusts ignition timing to maintain efficient combustion.
- Rider-friendly electric engine starter with compact electric starter motor.
- Automatic decompression system lifts one exhaust valve at cranking rpm for easy starting.
- Powerful 250mm front disc brake with dual-piston caliper and 220mm rear disc brake with single-piston caliper.
- The DR-Z400E's bodywork features smooth transitions between the tail and seat to facilitate machine control on off-road.
- Long-travel, 49mm-stanchion-tube front forks with protective rubber boots and progressive-linkage rear suspension system are both multi-adjustable.
- Progressive-linkage rear shock absorber system for excellent rear wheel traction.
- Aluminium-alloy engine guard plate protects the bottom of engine.
- Narrow frame made of thin, round and rectangular chrome-moly steel tubes for exceptional torsional rigidity with minimum weight and lightweight aluminium bolt-on rear subframe.
- Air filter can be accessed with your bare hands, grease nipples of the swingarm pivot and shock absorber linkage bearing, and clutch cover can be removed without draining the engine coolant all for easy maintenance.
- Easy-to-read multi-function digital instrument includes speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters with both addition and subtraction functions, clock and stopwatch with subtraction capability.